Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mom's Next Goal

So, today I deviate from the normal dialogue about the boys to share my latest goal. On April 17, I will (attempt) to run my first 5K in nearly 15 years (Let me just add here that when I say "run," I really mean "jog" as part of this goal is certainly NOT to break any speed records!). The last time I ran in an official event was my senior year in college - I was obviously younger and about 60 pounds lighter. I have 37 days to prepare and have decided my incentive for running the whole thing will be new running shoes. I mean, what woman wouldn't push herself a little harder toward the reward of new shoes (even if they are running shoes!)?

Today is day 3 of training. Day 1 was pretty easy - beautiful day and I was pumped about the new challenge. Yesterday (day 2) was a little tougher - it was raining and earlier in the morning than I like to be moving, let alone RUNNING. Today, however, I actually started to enjoy it. It's a beautiful day, and despite my very sore muscles, I did manage to walk/jog a little over 3 miles(and that makes me feel a lot better about being able to at least FINISH!). My long-term goal is the St. Jude 1/2 marathon in December, so this race is my first step (for my students, that's an objective!) toward achieving my goal.

My initial thought for trying to find time to exercise was to get a two-seater jogging stroller and take the boys with me. However, the thought of pushing 50+ pounds of "boy" made me rethink the two-seater idea. I am very grateful for Jeff's support and help with the boys that has allowed me to carve out some time during the day to exercise.

Interestingly, I have found that I like myself - and those around me - a lot more on the days that I am able to exercise. I have more patience with all three of my boys and get a lot more accomplished. I really do feel better (despite the soreness!).

So, I will provide occasional updates on my progress during the next month. I know most of you are here to read about the boys so I promise not they won't be too frequent!

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! Good luck obtaining your goal. I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete