Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Happy 2 Months, Sweet Eli (and a few Riley funnies!)

Eli is two months old! I can't believe how quickly it's gone by. We go to the doctor today for our first set of shots (which I am DREADING!), and I am anxious to see how much he's grown. My guess is 15 pounds and 24 inches long.

Riley has been cracking us up lately! His personality is really developing!

"Seakle Belt"
One of the funniest things he's been doing is combining words when he gets excited and/or frustrated. On the way home from a long day of shopping in Jackson a few weeks ago, he says from the back seat, "Mama! Get me out of this seakle belt!"

Choc-o-late for lunch?
Sunday was Palm Sunday and our church has the children come down the center aisle waving palm branches at the beginning of the service. So, I start prepping Riley that morning for his adventure to "big church" - not necessarily about the palm branches because I'm certain he can handle that, but being quiet for the rest of the service is what I'm not so sure about. I packed his bag with plenty of goodies - cars, crayons, snacks, etc... I'm explaining how he has to be quiet in big church and we "discuss" why throughout the morning. We load up in the car and are heading to church...

R: Mama, I'll be quiet in big church.
Me: GREAT! The big people will appreciate it! We've got lots of things for you to do in my bag. Ok?
R: Ok. My cars?
Me: Yes!! We'll get your cars out to play with and if you can make it all the way through big church being quiet, you can have whatever you want for lunch! You can pick! Ok?
R (after a thoughtful pause): Mama...I wike choc-o-wate.

Well, of course you do! Not exactly what I was expecting, but he did make it through the service and he DID get his "choc-o-wate."

Running with Mama
Saturday afternoon, I was leaving to run and Riley wanted to go with me. I explained that I was going a long way but when I got back, if the sun was still shining, he and I could run around the circle. So, I run my route, walk in the door and he's ready to go! We get his shoes on and head out. I'm thinking the whole time that I'm about to have to carry 40 pounds of long-legged boy back to the house.... but I didn't! We made it all the way around the circle (about 1/2 mile!). He would run really fast and say, "I'm fast...like Lightning McQueen!" Then, he decided we'd play our own version of red light - green light. "Run fast....walk slow, Mama!" It was too cute and something I anticipate we will do again!

Easter Sweetness
This is not a funny, but definitely something I must share! Sunday night, Riley came to big church again for the Easter cantata (brave, huh? Twice in one day!). As the choir sang, pictures were projected onto the screen. When the cross picture came up...

R (whispering): Mama, that's the cross.
Me: It is the cross!
R: They put Jesus on it.
Me (choking back tears already!): They sure did!
R: It was sad...

I'm so thankful that even at 3 he knows about the cross! And even more thankful to have the opportunity to explain to him this week that we can be happy about the cross because HE LIVES!

No comments:

Post a Comment