Wednesday, July 28, 2010

6 months and 55 pounds!

Happy 6 Months, Eli!
It's hard to believe, but Friday, Eli will be 6 months old! Where has time gone? Just this morning, he mastered a "complete dismount" from his Floor Nanny (a 3'x3' padded square with a lowered center that is supposed to be ideal for him to SIT IN!). As I write this, he's rolling around the living room chasing down whatever happens to catch his fancy for the moment and chuckling at his amazing accomplishments. He's trying to sit up alone, and I'll honestly be shocked if he hasn't converted his scooting/rolling into crawling within the next month or so. We visit the pediatrician Monday for his 6-month check up (and more shots!), so I am anxious to see how much he weighs and how long he is. He also starts full-time care outside our home next week. While I am thrilled about the arrangement, it's still hard to think about how quickly he's learning new things and that we'll be missing some of his "firsts," I'm sure.

I am thankful each day that God has blessed us with two healthy, happy boys - they are truly my pride and joy!

-55 Pounds (and counting!)
I am happy to share that I am now 55 pounds lighter than when I arrived at the hospital to deliver Eli and within 5 pounds of my pre-Riley weight! I still have about 10 more I'd like to lose; as I kick up the training for the St. Jude's 1/2 Marathon in December, I'm sure they'll come off!

I have struggled with my weight since college so two pregnancies in three years didn't exactly help. What I have found to work (for me!) is simply old-fashion math - calories in vs. calories out. A friend recommended a fabulous (and FREE!) app for my iPhone, Lose it!, that allows me to enter calories consumed and calories burned...I really don't even have to DO the math. I also use my Nike+ to track mileage and calories burned.

In the past, I sought the "quick fix" to weight loss - diet pills, drinks, even "fasting" before a big event where I thought I needed to look thin. What I think has made this effort more successful is the lifestyle change. I viewed exercise and eating healthy as "punishment." Now, I want to eat healthy and exercise - not to be thin, but to be "HEALTHY." My work at the SSRC over the last year has increased my awareness of the sad state of the health in MS - especially among children. I really want to be a good example for my boys, not by how thin I am, but by my own healthy lifestyle and making it possible for them to live one, too. Eat This! Not That! has also opened my eyes to a lot of things in my diet that I thought were healthy or "not that bad." Just simple changes to what's in the cabinets and the refrigerator can make a significant difference - not just for me, but for all my boys! So while I'm thrilled with the number on the scale, I'm more thrilled about how I feel! I no longer dread working out and even roasted a red pepper this week to put on a very healthy pizza. Tackled two amazing feats in one - cooking AND eating healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment