Thursday, December 16, 2010

I really did it! St. Jude's Half Marathon

With Jeff, Riley and sweet Molly Mize after the race!

DISCLAIMER: This post has little do with the boys. Sorry!

On December 4, I completed the St. Jude's Half Marathon in Memphis, Tennessee. I hoped to finish in under 2:15 (yes, that's 2 hours and 15 minutes of running) but missed my goal by just a few minutes (2:18:10). I ran the entire thing (pretty slow in some spots), but ran nonetheless. It was a beautiful day - overcast and about 50 degrees at the start of the race; the sun burst through the clouds shortly after I crossed the finish line. I had compiled an amazing play list of some of my favorite praise and worship music - a lot of Third Day with some of my favorites from KLove blended in. That uplifting playlist was HUGE in getting me through the rough moments. Jeff and Riley were stationed about the 1/2 way mark (something for me to look forward to!) and then ready to trek back to Auto Zone Park to see the finish. Knowing I was going to see them kept me pushing toward that mark (although I ended up not seeing them because they were on the opposite side of the road!).

Riley was all about some High 5s for the runners!
Wish I could've gotten one!
To be totally honest, there were a lot moments that I really wanted to quit - just walk the rest of the way and call it good. And each time I felt like stopping, I found the strength to keep moving forward, somehow finding a second (or third or fourth or fifth...) wind. I used the time to express a lot of thankfulness to God for the ability to even be on the course and for the countless blessings in my life. I spent a lot of time reflecting on the people who've encouraged me and helped me along the way - some of whom I'll probably never meet (BIG thanks to my all my Running Tweeps!). I am also blessed to have an incredibly supportive husband to help with the boys because...



Being a runner is a family decision.

The feeling of crossing the finish line was one of the most gratify experiences of my entire life. I started my journey to that finish line five weeks after Eli was born. I weighed about 210 lbs and could barely run 1/2 mile. During the training process, I finished four 5Ks and a 10K. Eight months later, I ran the full 13.1 miles through the streets of Memphis (and weighed about 50 pounds less!). I cried - partly because my body hurt so bad but mostly because I had set out to run those 13 miles not completely believing that I could do it...but I did!


Over the last few months, I've learned a lot of things about myself. Here are just a few things running has taught me:



1. My body will do MORE than my mind tells me it will. 
I cannot tell you how many times my mind has told me that my body wanted to quit. Sometimes, it will be 2 miles into a 6-8 mile run. My mind starts making excuses and trying to convince me that I don't really have to run ALL that distance. But I've found if I just push passed "the fat girl in my head," I can usually go more than I planned and have a great run.



Riley promptly told me, 
"You need a shower, Mommy!"
 after the race!


2. I am a better mommy, wife, teacher, boss, friend when I make time to exercise.
In the beginning, I felt guilty about making time for myself but I've learned that I am a "better me" when I exercise. I am less stressed (which means more patient!) and more flexible when things don't go as planned. I feel better and have more energy. So, while I may still have twinges of guilt at times, I have come to recognize that finding that time for myself has a significant impact on those around me.


3. I am VERY goal oriented.
Having a goal to work toward keeps me going. In the long-term, it's a particular race to prepare for. In the short-term, it can be a particular spot on my route that I want to reach. Without goals, I am a wanderer. This has also played into the weight loss efforts as well. When I am trying to reach a certain milestone (whether numerical on the scale or a "non-scale victory"), I need a destination. This is something I've always known about myself but running has solidified my need to set realistic and attainable goals.


4. I want to help others achieve their goals.
Through various relationships (some formed via social media platforms), I have found others who are on a running and/or weight loss journey. Helping others achieve their goals makes me a better runner; I hope to continue to find ways to encourage others. 
(There's several more things, but I'll save those for another post!)


All in all, my first half marathon was a fabulous experience and one I hope to repeat (soon!). I will definitely participate in the St. Jude's races again! I am in the process of trying to decide whether or not to participate in the MS Blues Half Marathon in Jackson January 8. I think it would be a great race and help keep me going through the holidays. My next race after that will either be the Little Rock Half Marathon or the Country Music Half Marathon in Nashville at the end of April. I'll need to do some serious hill training for both!


BIG "Thank you!!" to Jeff, Kathy and Molly Mize for their incredible hospitality race weekend! Riley had a ball playing with sweet Mollie, and I had a personal chauffeur that knew exactly how to get me where I needed to be!


(Eli stayed with Gran and Granny for this race! The weather was being unpredictable and we thought it'd be easier to navigate with just R-man for this one! Thanks, Gran & Granny!)

No comments:

Post a Comment