Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Could thumb sucking be hereditary?

A few weeks ago, I began to wonder if I had somehow passed along the thumb-sucking gene to my boys. Is it possible that this is hereditary? Like tongue-rolling? Or attached vs. detached earlobes? As my parents (and many others who knew me as a little girl!) will attest to, I was a die-hard thumb sucker until probably sixth or seventh grade. They tried every enticement, reward, and/or punishment to help me break the habit. Miraculously, I do not have bucked teeth or any other deformity...or major deformity, anyway (My thumbs are shaped differently!).

When Riley began sucking his thumb, I thought, "Aww! That's really cute!" (and a lot easier than keeping up with a pacifier!). Now, he's three and still sucks his thumb as soon as he sees or comes in contact with his beloved "bally"...or anything that feels like his bally. He frequently asks to "borrow" baby brother's bally when we are in the car because his stay at home now. Is it still "cute" at 3? Do we need to start trying to break the habit?

Last week, Eli really started trying to get his thumb into his mouth. He gets the knuckle in position and seems to be content with that for now, but it seems like only a matter of time before he figures out the logistics. Will he, too, fall victim to the soothing of the thumb?

April 2010
Eli @ 11 weeks, Riley @ 3 years

No comments:

Post a Comment