Monday, June 21, 2010

My Help Comes from the Lord...

So I divert from the typical posts about the boys. This morning (and I mean 6 a.m. "this morning") on my run (about mile 3) I had a God moment and I need to share...

Several months ago when I began running, I included on my route these two "enormous" back-to-back hills (Richardson Road if you're familiar with Louisville). I did this for two reasons: 1) because I wanted to push myself and these hills seemed a good way to do it and 2) because running uphill works different muscles and provides a bit of a "break" in a long run. As the temperatures have crept up, I have begun to dread them. Many mornings I run them at the beginning of the route just to get them out of the way. This morning, they were mid-route. As I was coming to the "valley" before them, I hit the most refreshing blast of cool air. It had to be at least 10 degrees cooler in that low spot. Amazing! It was as if God was refreshing me before I started the climb up what looked (and felt) like two insurmountable obstacles.

It hit me - that's exactly what He does! He gives us exactly what we need to make it through the difficult times. Whether it's physical refreshment when our bodies are tired (the cool air, a few drops of rain, shaded running routes), mental (encouragement from a friend, a new frame of reference) or spiritual (the perfect verse/song, a great sermon), He knows what we need more than we do and always seems to provide at the perfect moment.

As I began to run up the first hill, "My Help Comes from the Lord" came on my iPod...as if I needed one more reminder of His provisions. I tackled both hills with renewed energy...and a new appreciation for His timing in my life.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
Jeremiah 29:11 - 13

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Walton, I needed this today. Thank you for such a beautiful post (and for the Walton Boys posts as well)!

    ReplyDelete